Hit me baby one more time..

Friday 9 December 2011

The Strip Tease

For one night only, I, Ailsa Lindsay, will be performing an academic strip tease in the style of a St Andrew's student. (if you are thinking about getting all excited and scrolling down to see the end result, I should warn you that this is a very Scottish strip tease, and you still end up in a jumper and warm jeans)
I'm up staying in St Andrews with my big sister for a few days because she just loves having me around. St Andrews is 600 years old, and so has some amazing and really fun traditions; last night I went to a debate where we all drank port before and there were all sorts of cute little bits. My favourite, obviously, is that it is completely legit to walk around the town in your gown, which is bright red and fleecy. The "academic strip tease" is what the students call the tradition of HOW YOU WEAR YOUR GOWN.
E.g.
In first year, you wear it up on your shoulders. This is my preferred method of gown wearing because it is the warmest way to wear it.

In second year you wear it slightly off both shoulders. Because you are so old and mature and too cool for school.

 Although this is a colder way to wear it, it is clearly the superior year to be late and have to run places.



 In third year you wear it off different shoulders to distinguish between the years, off the left for arts students. Alastair recommended I wore it off this side because if I looked like  a scientist I would attract lots of attention. Wait a minute...

 I tried to demo fourth year but somehow the photos don't have quite the panache that Seonaid achieves with it. Practice I suppose.



 This was us leaning in for the self timer. Not sure that was entirely necessary.

1 comment:

  1. You beautiful girls but what a lot of silliness - nice looking gowns though! Very festive!

    ReplyDelete